I can’t believe it! I am so proud to share Stories on Bing (Official Blog Post)! Funnily enough, my career has gone full circle. Ten years ago, my first big project was a system that crowdsourced stories at scale. I used SMS to crowdsource story creation one sentence at a time with a few constraints like voting. Besides the talk I did at TEDxHEC in Montreal, not much of the project exists anymore. It’s crazy to think that after a decade, I am back to building stories but with machine learning trained on the knowledge of the internet as part of the new Bing.
My team was heavily involved in the new Bing release. Using the latest generative AI technologies and to support the demand for more visual search experiences, we built Stories. Stories provide a more engaging way to search and interact with content, offering images and short videos. We also built technology to pair images with the relevant content to better explain concepts and ideas. Our goal is to deliver more immersive experiences in Bing and Edge that make finding answers and exploring the web more interesting, useful and fun.
This project took a lot of hard work across multiple teams at Bing to make this a reality. It uses some of the most incredible technology I have ever worked with. We solved many complex problems that were extremely difficult to solve even a year ago. I am incredibly proud of my UX engineering team for building a scalable and beautiful experience that works across browsers, platforms & devices and supports many kinds of content. This experience would not have been possible without the efforts of so many teams across Bing and without the support of our leadership team.
P.S. If you’re curious about my project from 10 years ago. I was young at the time, so please excuse the baby face. And I had little design skills, so please forgive the Comic Sans. You can watch the video.
P.S.S. My fiancé is not surprised by any of this work and says it is on brand. She calls me “Mr. Show and Tell” and I guess she’s not wrong.
- The Verge: Bing’s showing ‘AI-generated stories’ in some search results
- Times of India: Microsoft Bing brings AI-generated visual stories, knowledge cards in search
- Business Insider India: Microsoft adds ‘AI-generated stories’ to its Bing search
- TechCrunch: Microsoft brings OpenAI’s DALL-E image creator to the new Bing
- The Verge: Microsoft’s Bing chatbot now lets you create images via OpenAI’s DALL-E
- Reuters: Microsoft launches image-creation tool on Bing powered by OpenAI’s tech
- OnMSFT: The new Bing gets AI-Powered Visual Stories and Knowledge Cards to enhance its visual search experience
- SearchEngineLand: Bing Image Creator added to Bing Chat
- 9to5mac: Microsoft Edge and Bing team up with DALL·E to deliver text-based image creation
- Thurrott: Microsoft Starts Rolling Out Bing Image Creator in its Bing Chatbot and Edge
- xda-developers: Bing chat now uses an advanced version of DALL-E to let users create images with words
- Neowin: Microsoft’s Bing Chat adds Bing Image Creator for making AI generated art
- SearchEngineJournal: Bing Image Creator: AI-Powered Visual Content By Microsoft
- DigitalTrends: Bing Image Creator brings DALL-E AI-generated images to your browser